The In the Suite team is so thrilled and honored to welcome the first male guest of our show – none other than Dr. Travis Parry!
Travis is the Founder of the Make Time Institute, the best-selling author of “Achieving Balance,” an international keynote speaker, and soon to be a father for the seventh time.
The aim of our podcast was to share stories of women and, in particular, those in the mid-senior level. However, Travis is someone we couldn’t resist inviting. He’s come up with a fantastic platform that’ll help free up both men’s and women’s time in a demanding and overworked industry. His work is significant.
His company ‘Make Time Institute’ is a friendly approach to finding focus and energy in your everyday life. He coaches financial professionals and entrepreneurs to make time to achieve balance.
What’s unique about Travis is that he spent almost a decade working as a financial advisor himself and lived firsthand the challenges of balancing the demands of advisory firms and the needs of his home life.
What really changed Travis’ path was the early death of his father from an unexpected heart attack during his routine mountain bike ride. As he processed his father’s death, he realized, not only did he have to live a healthy lifestyle, but he had to live his life on purpose and with positive intention.
And as a former financial advisor, Travis knew that just like him, other financial professionals and entrepreneurs struggled with keeping a healthy balance between building a practice and enjoying life outside of it. His mission was clear: he had to help financial advisors break the 80+ hours at office norm and help them be more productive so that they could spend more time with their family, friends, and themselves.
Through his coaching sessions and book, he’s successfully helped thousands achieve work/life balance and make time to reach their business and personal goals. It’s important to understand that the book is not only for advisors. Anyone could take the principles and apply them to their lives (If Travis’ 13-year-old son can, you can too!).
In this podcast, the words of wisdom from Dr.Travis Parry will challenge you to rethink what sustainable balance looks like, and it will teach you how to overcome the ongoing struggle of time management. He emphasizes the art of delegating, creating boundaries, setting priorities for yourself and breaks down the three myths that people believe about productivity so that you can get yourself out of the workaholic mindset.
Don’t miss out on the podcast for some genuine life-changing advice and an exclusive announcement on his following project that’s launching in 2022!
From our conversation with Travis, below are our top takeaways:
1. There’s no such thing as work/life balance: Instead, focusing on priorities in how to really begin enjoying the life you want. Along with career and finances, there are other areas in your life that are vying for your time and attention. These areas include physical health, self-improvement, spirituality, community, relationships with spouse, friends, family, and fun with recreation.
2. It’s not about what you accomplish, but the person you want to become: Travis explains that when you identify your values and become someone, you will achieve things along the way. However, if you focus only on the accomplishment, you miss out on the real personal growth. It’s key to identify the internal values that drive you to then develop a smart goal system around them.
3. The concept of couple development: Travis emphasizes that we should not focus on the differences but instead acknowledge them. He explains that when couples share the same financial goals, it will translate into increased happiness in their partnership, and it will help achieve their financial goals more effectively together. It’s essential for couples to be on the same team and to be each other’s biggest support.
It is with immense pleasure and honor that we introduce our first male guest ever on the show. It is none other than the phenomenal Dr. Travis Parry.
Travis is the best-selling author of “Achieving Balance,” an inspirational keynote speaker, the Founder and coach of the Make Time Institute, and soon to be a father for the seventh time.
Travis started his career as a financial advisor in 2002, but a series of life-changing events took a turn in his life. The tragic experience of losing his young father from an unexpected heart attack and having to literally process his father’s death claim created a moment for Travis to look at his life in a more holistic view.
He invested in his education and earned several degrees in behavioral science to understand human behavior better.
As a result, his best-selling book “Achieving Balance” was born. In the podcast, Travis reveals that the concept of work/life could actually be a misnomer. In addition to work, there are ten other areas in our lives, including spiritual, physical health, relationships, and more, that are vying for our attention and time.
Through his workshops, Travis noticed a natural market for couples who find it difficult to talk about money, causing friction in their relationship. He firmly believes that when couples share goals, especially financial ones, it will translate into increased happiness in their partnership.
Join the conversation to here about:
- Big news! (02:15)
- About the Make Time Institute (04.55)
- What is a mini-obituary worksheet? (09:55)
- The role of community in our lives (15:10)
- How often should we re-visit our smart goals? (18:45)
- Busting myths on ‘Balance’ and ‘Multi-tasking.’ (22:03)
- The power of letting go (32:10)
- What to expect from Travis’ workshop? (37:50)
- Shared values and well-being among couples (42:40)
- Travis’ next project (55:33)
- Book recommendation (01:03:15)