It’s a joy to welcome Nina O’Neal to In The Suite. Nina is a financial advisor, mother, wife, contributing author, Founder, and so much more. Nina’s passion for finance and helping people seeps out into every facet of her life. Nina is like a superhero who does a bit of everything whether it’s founding a network specifically for female financial advisors or writing a book so the average person can understand a financial advisor’s relationship with money.
Nina does it all and she does it with unapologetic realness. Nina is Partner & Investment Advisor with Archer Investment Management, where’s she’s worked since 2009. based in Raleigh, North Carolina. She’s contributing author to the best-selling book, “How I Invest My Money: Finance experts reveal how they save, spend, and invest” by Joshua Brown, Brian Portnoy, illustrated by Carl Richards and published in November 2020.
Nina has a deep commitment when it comes to teaching young women and students about finances. Nina is the Founder and organizer of the Female Advisor Network, where they offer a low-cost student membership with networking opportunities and internships as well as support, education, mentorship, and collaboration.
“Define what success is to you and then just take measured steps to get there,” says Nina.
Talk the talk, walk the walk. Nina has impressive accolades to boot. Days after our podcast episode recording, she was named to InvestmentNews 2020 Women to Watch list and Investopedia’s 100 Top Financial Advisors for 2020. The Investopedia 100 celebrates financial advisors making significant contributions to critical conversations about financial literacy, investing strategies, life-stage planning, and wealth management.
Nina’s been crushing it for years, not just in 2020. She was named one of the 2018 Triangle Business Journal 40 Under 40 Professionals and one of the 2016 InvestmentNews 40 Under 40 Financial Professionals. For someone who calls herself the “accidental advisor,” you can stack Nina’s experience into a mile-high list of achievements.
In this episode, Nina tells us about why she started in finance in the first place. She’d witnessed so many women in her family suffer the aftermath of having to manage finances and grief.
“And those are two very difficult things,” Nina says. You don’t want to have to deal with a learning curve as you navigate the complicated and emotional waters of money, grief, divorce, death. She began to turn her financial life around and get a better grasp of personal finance as she jumped into the financial advisor field.
Nina is truly dedicated to empowering others and opening up the dialogue of money as a financial advisor. Unsurprisingly, Nina is also the host of “The Juggle is Real” a video series with InvestmentNews, she candidly shares the unique challenges of working parents. Join us in this podcast episode of In the Suite to understand more about her journey to create a community as she juggles work and family and the stressors of life. Nina tells us that Sports has given her family a sense of normalcy in the aftermath of Coronavirus.
We talk about accepting that you can’t handle it all, why consistency is key when it comes to creating social media content for your company, and we even delve into the very personal reason why Nina jumped into the finance field in the first place.
We are deeply inspired by Nina’s dedication to creating strong networks, serving to make the world a better place through access to financial knowledge. You won’t want to pause this episode with Nina! Listen and utilize these three bits of advice from Nina to make the most of your career path and connect to those around you.
- Introduce yourself. Sometimes it begins with a hello. Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to someone in that meeting or after a conference, or even a retweet, that’s what worked for Nina! Sometimes that person remains a lifelong connection. Sometimes you learn something, sometimes you grow, but you never know if you don’t give it a go.
- Stay consistent with content. Consistency is key. You don’t have to do everything on every single social media platform, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, but you do need to remain consistent on the platform that you choose. It doesn’t have to be as complex as you think. You don’t always have to create fresh concepts. There’s so much out there that we can utilize and leverage, in addition to creating videos and imagery from scratch.
- Keep your eyes on the prize. The financial industry takes patience and knowing you’re working toward progress. Just know that you’re growing. It might not always be as fast as you want it to be, Nina says, but keep your eye on the prize. “Define what success is to you and then just take measured steps to get there.”
- Nina O’Neal – Twitter
- How I Invest My Money: Finance experts reveal how they save, spend, and invest
- Nina’s Tweet about men in financial services
- Female Advisor Network – Website
- Archer Investment Management
- “The Juggle is Real” Video Series
Today’s episode of In The Suite with Nina O’Neal will motivate you! Nina is Partner & Investment Advisor with Archer Investment Management, financial advisor, mother, wife, contributing author, Founder, the list keeps going. Nina is a sought out national thought leader and commentator on industry topics and trends who has been featured in multiple industry publications.
“Define what success is to you and then just take measured steps to get there,” she says in this powerful episode. Life can be difficult and things can go awry but keep your eye on the prize.
We are deeply inspired by Nina’s dedication to creating strong networks, serving to make the world a better place through access to financial knowledge. Nina has a sincere commitment when it comes to teaching young women and students about finances.
Join us in this podcast episode to understand more about Nina’s journey to create a community as she juggles work and family. We talk about thought-provoking topics such as accepting that you can’t handle it all, why consistency is key when it comes to creating social media content for your company, and we even delve into the very personal reason why Nina jumped into the finance field in the first place.
Join the conversation to hear about:
- Accept that you can’t handle it all (6:50)
- Being more than just someone’s financial advisor (10:45)
- Consistency is key (15:45)
- Why advisors need to use their own voice, not just the brand voice (17:25)
- The reason why Nina founded the Female Advisor Network (19:30)
- Going national and creating a membership network (23:35)
- Types of work environments in financial services (30:00)
- Rules of thumb for creating stronger networks with men (36:00)
- How men in finance have supported Nina’s career over the years (37:40)
- Learning to talk about her personal finance story (45:35)
- The personal and specific reason why Nina began in the finance field (48:00)
- How to get in touch with Nina (57:55)
- What is Nina’s superpower? (59:40)